This page is part of the Peace Heathens' Seattle Crisis Resource Directory.

Legal Services

American Civil Liberties Union of Washington
206-624-2180 complaints and referrals
P.O. Box 2728; Seattle, WA 98111-2728

Helps with complaints regarding civil liberties legal issues. Written complaints preferred, but answering machine gives information about when they accept complaints by phone.

National home page of ACLU.
Verified 12/02

Lawyer Referral and Volunteer Legal Services
900 Fourth Ave. #600, Seattle 98164

A service of the Seattle/King County Bar Association. Some free legal services and referrals. M-F 8am-5pm.
Verified 12/02

Housing Justice Project (HJP)
206-267-7090 (information line only, cannot take messages)
Room W314 in the King County courthouse at 3rd and James

Free legal help to eligible low-income tenants who would otherwise appear without legal representation at their eviction hearings. Individuals who have a Show Cause Hearing on the same day as their visit to the HJP receive priority. Services include information and educational materials about the eviction process; referrals; legal advice; negotiations; and representation at eviction hearings. Serves North King County and Seattle residents. Open 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. M-F. No appointment required.
Verified 04/08

Housing Justice Project (HJP) of South King County
206-267-7090 (information line only, cannot take messages)
Conference Room 1281, Kent Regional Justice Center, 401 4th Avenue North, Kent

Free legal help to eligible low-income tenants who would otherwise appear without legal representation at their eviction hearings at Kent Regional Justice Center. First come, first served. Open 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. M-F.
Verified 04/08

Mothers For Police Accountability
P.O. Box 22886, Seattle 98122

24-hour hotline. Provides help with complaints about police harassment and excessive force.
Verified 12/02

Northwest Women's Law Center's Legal Information and Referral Service

Provides written materials and gives referrals on family law, self-help, child support, domestic violence, sexual harassment. Free legal representation on selected women's cases.
Verified 12/02

Solutions Consumer Credit Counseling Service
9709 Third Ave. NE #200, Seattle 98115

Counseling service, provides assistance to individuals who are heavily indebted or on the verge of bankruptcy.
Verified 12/02

NW Immigrant Rights Project
909 Eighth Ave, Seattle 98104

Immigration legal services. Free or donation. Normal intake hours Mon 10am-12:15pm, Wed 1:30pm-2:45pm; intake hours for cases involving detainees Tues 9:30am-10:45am, Thurs 3pm-4:15pm.
Verified 12/02

Legal Action Center
100 23rd Ave, Seattle 98144

For low-income people throughout King County. Free legal assistance for low-income tenants with an eviction notice. Legal help with landlord/tenant problems, debtor/creditor problems related to past or present tenancies, and referrals in other matters. M-F 9am-12pm and 2-5pm.
Verified 08/2012

The Tenants Union
TDD: 206-723-0523

3902 S. Ferdinand, Seattle 98118

Information on landlord/tenant laws and advocacy for tenants.
Verified 12/2009

Solid Ground's Benefits Legal Assistance

Provides legal help and information to people whose Washington State benefits have been reduced, terminated or denied. Their attorneys give advice and can represent people in fair hearings with Department of Social & Health Services (DSHS) and Health Care Authority (HCA) benefits.
Needs verification 08/2016

Northwest Justice Project

Provides representation in selected housing, family, education, Native American, and King County public benefits cases. Their web site, best viewed with frames has an excellent collection of online legal documents on topics ranging from farmworkers' rights to consumer debt.
Verified 12/02

Central Area Motivation Program
722 18th Ave., Seattle 98122

Helps restore suspended driver's licenses, even for accounts already in collection. Helps arrange payment schedule.
Verified 11/02

King County Dispute Resolution Center

Conflict resolution for King County residents, by trained volunteers. Divorce/domestic mediations, mobile home park mediations, neighborhood problems, employer/employee issues where a union is not involved, landlord/tenant issues, etc. (more details on their website). All services low cost, sliding scale. Voluntary and confidential. Does not handle problems involving violence of any kind or alcohol or drug abuse. 9am-5pm M-F.
Verified 12/02

Street Youth Legal Advocates of Washington (SYLAW)
206-464-5936 extension 239
1-800-542-0794 extension 239
101 Yesler Way, Suite 300, Seattle 98104

For homeless and at-risk youth. Legal education in civil and criminal law. Legal representation in civil, but not criminal cases.
Verified 12/02

Identity theft

Perhaps the fastest-growing crime in the U.S. in recent years has been identity theft. Here are some good pieces of advice for protecting yourself:

  • Don't have your social security number printed on your checks.
  • Have a photocopy of the contents of your wallet (and the main page of your passport, if you have one). Keep it in a safe place. Then, if these things are stolen, you'll still know all of your numbers and also have a fair idea what was stolen.
  • If your wallet is stolen, report the theft promptly to the police in the jurisdiction where it was stolen. This is the key piece of evidence you will need that any charges after that date are not your own and that you made a vigorous attempt to deal with the matter.
  • If your wallet is stolen, or if you have any other reason to think your identifying information might be in danger, besides contacting the issuing agency of all credit cards, etc. also contact the three national credit reporting organizations (and also the Social Security fraud line). By placing a fraud alert on your name and SSN, you reduce the chance of new accounts being opened in your name by the thieves:
    • Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
    • Experian: 1-888-397-3742
    • TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
    • Social Security fraud line: 1-800-269-0271
      Numbers need verification 9/04

Sealing a juvenile record

In recent years, Washington State has changed its laws on sealing a juvenile criminal record. It is now easier to do this than it was before. To have a juvenile record sealed, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • It has been at least two years since you were last released from confinement for a juvenile misdemeanor, class C felony, class B felony, or completed diversion or a deferred disposition.
  • It has been at least five years since you were last released from confinement for a class A felony.
  • You have remained crime-free since your last conviction.
  • You have paid all court-ordered fees and fines.
  • If you meet all of these criteria, or believe you may meet them, Society of Counsel Representing Accused Persons (SCRAP) runs several free evening "Juvenile Record Sealing Clinics" a year (but on no regularly scheduled basis). Contact them at or call 206-890-9274 for information about upcoming clinic dates.
    Needs verification 03/12

    Other related topics:
    This page last fully fact-checked: December 2002
    This page last modified: January 17, 2020
    Previous section: Employment.
    Next section: Organizing.

    Go to home page of Peace Heathens' Crisis Resource Directory.
    To Search our site:
    Fill out one or more of the following fields and click the "Search" button.

    Comments? Suggestions? Send us mail!

    Feel free to copy all or part of this document for any non-commercial purpose. Notification and credit would be appreciated.

    The master of this page is

    Crisis Directory Home
    Previous (Employment)
    Next (Organizing)